Monday, August 14, 2006

The Man Booker Prize 2006: Longlist

There are nineteen books on the longlist this year.

Peter Carey - Theft: A Love Story
Kiran Desai - The Inheritance of Loss
Robert Edric - Gathering the Water
Nadine Gordimer - Get a Life
Kate Grenville - The Secret River
M.J. Hyland - Carry Me Down
Howard Jacobson - Kalooki Nights
James Lasdun - Seven Lies
Mary Lawson - The Other Side of the Bridge
Jon McGregor - So Many Ways to Begin
Hisham Matar - In the Country of Men
Claire Messud - The Emperor’s Children
David Mitchell - Black Swan Green
Naeem Murr - The Perfect Man
Andrew O’Hagan - Be Near Me
James Robertson - The Testament of Gideon Mack
Edward St Aubyn - Mother’s Milk
Barry Unsworth - The Ruby in her Navel
Sarah Waters - The Night Watch

The list includes three previous winners: Peter Carey (1988, 2001), Nadine Gordimer (1974) and Barry Unsworth (1992). According to The Times, 95 novels were entered by publishers, and the judges called in another seventeen. (I'd love to know which!) The shortlist will be announced on September 14th, and the winner on October 10th.

As a Nottinghamian I'll be keeping my fingers-crossed for Jon McGregor; and while Barry Unsworth and David Mitchell are two of my favourite contemporary authors, with Mitchell being the Bookies' favourite - always the kiss of death - the one I'm most keen to get my hands on is M.J. Hyland's Carry Me Down.



http://www.wikio.com Add to My MSN Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google
YouGov.com - Get paid to have your say

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google Book Search
Go Somewhere Else